Waterjet cutting is a type of material cutting where a jet of water or a mixture of water and water is used as a cutting tool instead of a cutter.
abrasive material emitted at high speed and under high pressure. In nature, such a process that occurs naturally is called water erosion.
- no thermal effects on the material (the temperature in the cutting zone is 60-90 ° C);
- significantly less material loss;
- a wide range of cut materials and thicknesses (up to 150-300 mm or more);
- high efficiency of cutting sheet materials with a thickness of more than 8 mm;
- no burnout of alloying elements in alloyed steels and alloys;
- no melting and burning of the material on the edges of the processed parts and in the surrounding area;
- the ability to cut thin-sheet materials in a package of several layers to increase productivity, including by reducing the idling of the cutting head;
- complete fire and explosion safety of the process;
- environmental cleanliness and complete absence of harmful gas emissions;
- high cut quality (edge roughness Ra 1,6).
- insufficient cutting speed of sheet steel;
- limited resource of individual components and the cutting head;
- high cost of abrasive (consumable material).
Using a water jet you can cut almost any material:
- ferrous metals and alloys;
- hard-to-process alloy steels and alloys (including: heat-resistant and stainless);
- non-ferrous metals and alloys (copper, Nickel, aluminum, magnesium, titanium and their alloys);
- composite material;
- ceramic materials (stoneware, tiles);
- natural and artificial stones (granite, marble, etc.)
- glass and composite glass (triplex, armored glass, reinforced glass, fiberglass, etc.);
- porous and transparent materials;
- cellular and sandwich structures;
- concrete and reinforced concrete.
Cutting soft materials such as polyurethane, foam and other foams, plastics, leather products, cardboard, fabrics, etc. is carried out only with a jet of water without adding an abrasive. It is also used in the food industry, for cutting and portioning food products.